Carney stands up to Trump: high-stakes gamble as Canada walks away from US trade deal

Canada has announced counter-tariffs on US products, with the new measures scheduled to take effect on September 8.
Mark Carney
Canada Prime Minister Mark Carney
Updated on
3 min read

Canada’s trade relationship with the United States has entered a dangerous new phase after Prime Minister Mark Carney chose confrontation over a last-minute agreement with President Donald Trump. With Washington imposing 50 percent tariffs on about $20 billion worth of Canadian goods and Ottawa preparing dollar-for-dollar retaliation from September 8, Carney now faces a difficult test: convince Canadians that accepting short-term economic pain is worth holding out for a better deal.

The breakdown is particularly significant because the two countries have one of the world's most deeply integrated economic relationships. The US accounted for 71.7 percent of Canada's merchandise exports in 2025, while total US-Canada goods and services trade was worth an estimated $872.3 billion last year.

Carney, who came to office promising an assertive response to Trump's trade pressure, has now become one of the first leaders to walk away from a US negotiating table rather than accept terms he considered inadequate.

Last-minute collapse

For much of the past week, Washington and Ottawa appeared close to an interim trade arrangement. But negotiations broke down late Friday after both sides accused the other of changing positions and introducing new demands.

Carney said the US had "asked too much" while offering too little. He argued that late US demands involving the automobile industry and restrictions on Canada's ability to negotiate trade agreements with other countries were unacceptable.

The Canadian prime minister also questioned the durability of any agreement reached under such pressure, saying Washington's commitments could effectively be "written in pencil".

The US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, however, blamed Canada for introducing new demands and retreating from earlier commitments. The Trump administration also objected to Canada's continued restrictions on US alcohol products in provincial stores.

The disagreement has now moved beyond tariff negotiations into a wider dispute over how the two countries manage their economic relationship.

50 percent tariff

The immediate consequence is a fresh round of tariffs. The Trump administration has imposed an additional 50 percent duty on a range of Canadian products, covering roughly $20 billion of imports. The affected goods include wine, dairy products, cement, electronics, paper and other manufactured and consumer products. Some major Canadian exports, including energy, potash and fish, are exempt from the latest measures.

The measure is being imposed under Section 338 of the US Tariff Act of 1930, a rarely used provision that allows the president to impose duties of up to 50 percent in response to alleged discriminatory treatment of US commerce. The White House says Canada's treatment of US automobiles and auto parts justified the move.

Canada has responded by announcing counter-tariffs on US products, with the new measures scheduled to take effect on September 8.

That puts the two countries on a much more dangerous trajectory than the earlier rounds of tariff threats and negotiations.

Why Canada has so much at stake

Canada cannot easily replace the US market. More than seven-tenths of its merchandise exports went to the US in 2025. At the same time, Canadian and US industries are closely connected through cross-border supply chains, particularly in automobiles, energy, metals, manufacturing and agriculture.

The dependence runs both ways. Canada is the US's largest source of energy imports and supplied about 64 percent of US crude oil imports by quantity in 2025. The US also imported $381.9 billion worth of Canadian goods last year.

That means tariffs are unlikely to remain a one-sided burden. Higher import costs, disrupted supply chains and weaker demand could eventually feed into prices and employment on both sides of the border.

Carney’s calculation

The trade dispute is also a test of Carney's political strategy.

The former Bank of Canada and Bank of England governor came to power promising to protect Canadian economic interests in the face of Trump's "America First" policies. His government has repeatedly argued that Canada must reduce its dependence on the US by strengthening domestic industries and expanding trade with other markets.

In an August 21 statement, Carney said acknowledged that "America has changed" and that Canada could not simply return to its previous relationship with Washington.

Walking away from a deal therefore fits Carney's broader strategy, but it also carries substantial economic and political risks.

If tariffs begin to damage Canadian manufacturers, exporters and consumers, the government will have to demonstrate that its tougher stance ultimately produces a better outcome than accepting a compromise.

Waiting for Trump's next move

For decades, geography, integrated supply chains and the North American trade framework have made the US Canada's overwhelmingly dominant market. Replacing even part of that dependence will require new infrastructure, investment and trade relationships.

That leaves Carney with a difficult balancing act: stand firm against Trump's pressure without allowing the resulting trade war to inflict disproportionate damage on Canada's economy. The next move from Trump may determine how far this confrontation goes.

```html ```
logo
DhanamOnline English
english.dhanamonline.com